Students apply for the Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BScN) Program through the Registrar’s Office, and must submit the UPEI undergraduate application form. Students in the Accelerated Program are required to take the same Nursing courses (NURS-1030 instead of NURS-1010 & 1020) and have the same number of clinical hours as students in the four-year BScN program. They are governed by the academic regulations for Nursing as outlined in the Calendar.
(ii) Admission Requirements
To be eligible for the Accelerated BScN Program, applicants must have:
- successfully completed Grade 12 Academic or equivalent courses in English, Math, Chemistry, and Biology;
- successfully completed 60 semester hours of university-level credit;
- of the 60 semester hours of credit noted above, 30 semester hours of credit must come from the list of courses below (at the credit weights noted), with a minimum average of 75% in these 10 courses (30 semester hours) with no individual course grade below 60%:
Human Anatomy (3 semester hours) – lab required
Human Physiology (3 semester hours) – lab required
Microbiology (3 semester hours) – lab required
Introductory Psychology (6 semester hours)
Developmental Psychology (3 semester hours)
Statistics (3 semester hours)
Introductory Nutrition (3 semester hours)
Two (2) English courses (6 semester hours)
(The above noted courses must be successfully completed at an undergraduate degree level at a recognized post-secondary institution. Courses must have been completed within the past 10 years and fulfill the criteria outlined for regular transfer credit equivalency review).
Note: Required courses in Pathophysiology and Pharmacology can be taken during the Accelerated Program.
Note: Applicants whose first language is not English must also satisfy the UPEI English Language Proficiency requirements.
CPR, First Aid, Criminal Record and Immunization
The Faculty of Nursing requires certification of your CPR (HCP level), First Aid, immunization record, and a certified criminal record and vulnerable sector check from your local law enforcement agency from all students accepted to the Nursing program. Accepted applicants forward this documentation directly to the Faculty of Nursing no later than December 15. (Note: if any of the required documentation is not received by the deadline, this offer may be withdrawn).
(iii) Application Process
Applicants submit the on-line UPEI application and pay the application fee on or before the July 15 application deadline
Arrange to have a final official high school transcript, as well as official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended, sent to the UPEI Registrar’s Office (address below). Transfer credits received at another institution will not negate the requirement for official transcripts where the course was taken. If enrolled in courses, updated transcripts are to be submitted once final grades for the semester are available.
If not enrolled in courses, please upload a current Curriculum Vitae or resume through the application portal
If you do not meet the UPEI English Language Proficiency, arrange to have a recognized ELP test result sent from a testing centre listed in the link above to the UPEI Registrar’s Office (address below).
The UPEI Registrar’s Office
550 University Avenue
Charlottetown, PE C1A 4P3
Notes Regarding the Evaluation of Applications:
- 28 students are accepted each year. There is only one entry term which is January.
- Priority is given to applicants who have completed all of the prerequisite course requirements, or those that have completed some and enrolled in the remaining prerequisite courses.
- An Early offer is made to applicants whose average for admission has been calculated to be 83% or greater. If an applicant is currently enrolled in courses, one condition of acceptance will be maintaining the admissions average of 83% or more.
- Once all applicants have been considered, further offers will be made to the highest ranked applicants who have not received an Early Offer and have completed all the prerequisite course requirements, or those that have completed some and enrolled in the remaining prerequisite courses.
- If a condition of acceptance is the successful completion of prerequisite courses, the deadline to complete the course(s) is the end of the Fall semester, and the deadline to submit the transcript is before the start of the Accelerated program in January.
- If an applicant wishes to be considered for both the Accelerated program and the 4 year program, they must submit an application for each program. If accepted to both, applicants choose which program they would like to enrol in.
- After receiving an offer of admission to the BScN, a non-refundable tuition deposit is required. The deadline for providing this deposit will be stated in the acceptance letter. Extensions to this deadline will not be granted.